Friday, November 11, 2011

Another thing I'm thankful for is...

Music...well, duh, of course!

There's a quote, one of many, about music - "When you are so strongly drawn to music, you can't 'NOT' be a musician."  That has been my experience. I was hooked on the piano as a very young child...I remember being hynoptized watching Tom & Jerry or Bugs Bunny perform their wonderful (and comical) piano concertos. I remember hearing the harmonies all around me while the church sang, and learning to sing alto that way. I remember riding my bike at a certain pace so the tires would hit the cracks in the sidewalk with a beat, so I could sing.  I remember learning to write out piano charts for songs I was trying to learn by ear....and making the notes backwards (and upside down!) on yellow notepad paper.  How could I NOT be a musician.

So today I am thanking God for music, and the big, wonderful universe that it is. The groove, the emotion, the poignancy, the tears, the imagination, the creativity it gives me, and that it allows me to express.

Today let's mix it up a little bit...THREE selections all about music.

1) Beethoven - Sonata No 8 In C Minor Op 13 'Pathetique' - III, as performed by Glenn Gould. Beethoven is my favorite classical composer, and this sonata brings back memories of the blood, sweat and tears while I learned this for my senior piano recital in college.




2) Old Time Rock & Roll - Bob Seeger. Nuff said.




3) September - Earth Wind & Fire. Ok it's not directly abotu music, but I DARE you to make it all the way thru this song without singing out loud "baaa-di-yah!". Always respect The Elements baby!



Have a great weekend!

*Give me your suggestion of songs about music or musicians.

No comments:

Post a Comment