Monday, November 28, 2011

Thankful for Change

This penultimate entry of this month of Thanksgiving is all about being thankful for life and the seasons of change that are bound to happen.  A few years ago, I never thought I'd actually be grateful for change. I tend to be kind of a rigid person, stuck to routine, and a bit scared of anything that's new or requires me to operate differently.  Change, to me, always meant something negative and/or painful was about to happen.  Very pessimistic I know.  But I've learned that change is the one constant in life, and is unavoidably inevitable. Embrace it, fight it, or try to ignore it - change is constant. I've also learned that change can be good and freeing.  There are so many good changes I've had...new jobs, new friends, new house, new closeness in relationships, or newly drawn boundaries that protect me from toxic relationships.

Three songs that are pretty far removed from each other in style came to mind as I thought about life and seasons of change today. 

1. "I Am Changing", from the musical Dreamgirls. 
One huge change in my life happened when I moved from east coast to Okie-ville. I kept this song on repeat during the 2000+ miles drive.  I’ve noticed that it pops up again in my playlist whenever I’m in some type of life transition – job, location, relationship, whatever.  I prefer the Jennifer Holliday version to J-Hudson, since Ms. Holliday originated the role of Effie.





2. "Breaking the Habit" by Linkin Park 

Ironically, this song also pops up during periods of change...mostly when I'm at a frustrated point of change, or I'm just ready for it to be over with already.  After all this time, I still love this band.
3. "A Change Is Gonna Come" by Sam Cooke.

So many artists have covered this song (most recently Afro-Blue from The Sing Off), but there's nothing like the original.  Cooke's tenor voice with this arrangement captures the premonition of his untimely death, and the hope of break-through that he had for his life - his life as a black man in America, his success as an artist.  The hope that life really will change for the better.  I think the positioning of foreboding against hope in this simple melody is what causes this song to be incredibly emotional and unforgettable.      




*Name one positive change you've had in your life in the past year.

No comments:

Post a Comment