Friday, December 16, 2011

December Soul - Duffy

Duffy, a Welsh artist, is part of that so-called "British invasion" of soul artists in the past few years.  I just listened to her cover of "Mercy" and realized she also kind of reminds me of Kristin Chenowith, both in physical features and because of the high-pitched voice.  Duffy seems to have cut her teeth on the old Motown sound and old soul/R&B music.  And in my opinion, her covers of old tunes like "These Arms of Mine" show her respect to the soul genre  without parrot-like imitating those singers.   That is a trap many singers, regardless of style, tend to fall into when covering a song. 

I am concerned about this Adele-like trend of singing the saddest songs ever known.  There's such pain that comes from her; I hope that her personal demons do not extinguish her voice at a premature age. 

Enjoy this *BUM-BUM* "Tainted Love" cover from Duffy. And I've included "Mercy" since I couldn't find any Christmas song from her that I liked enough to post here.

Happy weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment