Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Bring Me My Rocking Chair

Sooo, here I am in the Midwest, literally BAKING in 100+ degree weather and no relief in sight.  And what pops into my head – yep you guessed it, a song. Of all things, "Rocking Chair" - the Louis Armstrong version from the documentary, Jazz on A Summer's Day.  

Why this song? I have absolutely no idea. Maybe because in this kind of heat all a person wants to do is NOTHING.  But, either way, I like the song. Love the ending.  Actually, I like his entire set from that concert. So here it is: http://youtu.be/TVMTwxLY7b4 ("Rocking Chair" is about 5:08 into this clip.)

Which brings me to two observations for today’s entry….#1 – Music nerds have a soundtrack for their lives.  Just ask one, and he'll/she'll be happy to share it with you!  #2 – Louis Armstrong was a giant and an elder to younger musicians at this point of his life, and STILL had this internal fire for making music.  Yes, he was moving slower, his coordination maybe a little slower too, but music still moved him.  “Moved” is such an over-used term.  How about "energized".  It brought the sparkle in his eye, the joy on his face, the humor in his banter with bandmates & audience. The flame never died.  It’s how I want to be when I get old. Shoot, it’s how I want to be now.

*What song fires you up?

No comments:

Post a Comment