Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Rush

You know, I really don't like to feel rushed, or being stressed out. Unfortunately, the past couple days have been a little stressful.  I find it ironic that this happens just as I'm trying to follow the advice in I'm reading a book suggested to me by my dear friend Sharita.  At the very beginning of this book, The Highly Sensitive Person's Survival Guide, the author Ted Zeff talks about the importance of beginning your day stress free.  In other words, for the perpetual procrastinator like me, it means avoid the snooze button, get up, get dressed and spend a few minutes in calm before heading out the door.  Yeah, I've never been really good at that.......EVER.  Ask my mom.

Anyways, after blah-blah years on this earth, I've decided to try and follow this practice.  I know it's good, and it'd be great to get in some devotion time early in the morning.  And I did it this week---ONCE.  After that, my mornings have sucked, my days have been crazy, and my nights not as restful as I wanted.

Now, part of the "dramatic" nature of the creative or sensitive person tends to exaggerate things, so I guess I need to pull on my reins here.  It's only Wednesday.  My week will get better.  And because I've made a decision to do better, my actions will, in time, line up with my goal.  My goal - not to spend so much time RUSHING.

In the midst of my crazy yesterday, I needed to hear some music. Yeah I know, there's a shocker.  I remembered a song by 4th Avenue Jones, Overloaded.  But I'm not gonna put that clip here.  I want to share their song, Rush today. 

I absolutely LOVED this group back in the day --- great combo of hip-hop/rap, rock and just straight-up talent.  And I'm disappointed that they've broken up.  This week I also learned about a friend's daughter who is heading off to college.  Actually, some of my former students are also heading off to college.  And I'm sad.  Life keeps moving, and if you're not careful you fall out of touch with people.  Sometimes that's ok - it's that whole "life has its seasons" thing. 

But....I don't want to waste my time and emotional energy being so stressed or rushing around about stupid stuff that I don't spend it on what I love.  On what is beneficial and life-giving for me, and for those I care about.  I make the decision today to spend less time *rushing*.  More time being thoughtful, having fun, conquering the stupid things I fear....living like God intended me to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment