Monday, December 5, 2011

Christmastiiiiiime is heeerrre....

Tonight I watched Charlie Brown Christmas - it is now officially Christmas  This old classic is such a part of my psyche I can't even remember the first time I watched it.  What is it about this cartoon that still attracts me? It's not like I don't know the story, and can't quote half the movie in my sleep.  And by today's standards, the animation is archaic at best.  There are no explosions, no special effects, no cute gimmicks...and on top of it all, it moves along at a s-l-o-w pace.

The answer is two-fold - the story and the music. Poor Charlie Brown... between all the "good griefs" and "I always mess everything up" and "nobody likes me", he is truly depressed.  Be honest - how many of us have said and/or thought the same negative way.  I've spent a couple Christmases in this same funk.  It's worse than a funk...it's a lifeforce-sucking, mind-numbing vortex of swirling, stank pessimism.  And the more you cater to it, the more paralyzed you become, until you end up spending Christmas day alone, watching movies or horrible daytime TV, probably crying into some leftovers or a frozen dinner. 

This peek into Charlie's life reminds the viewer that you don't have to be alone, you don't have to spiral to the depths of despair. Save all that drama for your next re-enactment of Hamlet. It also reminds us to return to simplicity.  Quite a feat in today's smartphone-ridden, hectic society.  But it is possible.

Second part - the brilliance of Vince Guaraldi and his music was the perfect match to Charlie's story.  Piano, light percussion, a little bass....simple music + simple songs = complete mastery. 

The challenge I've issued myself - and renewed tonight - is to keep the season simple for me.  Spend time with the folks I care about, remembering that without the birth and life of Christ "peace on earth, good will towards men" is impossible, and find some way to express that peace and good will to others this year.






And here's something else by Vince Guaraldi, just to show that his musicianship went beyond a Charlie Brown soundtrack.

2 comments:

  1. Did the audio seem out of sync to you last night? It seemed like their mouths started moving slightly before the sound came out, and the little tree bowed over before the piano run. It may have just been an issue with my DVR or something, but I found it distracting.

    This past year I watched a documentary about Vince Guaraldi in relation to the Charlie Brown music, and discovered "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" which is the piece that Lee Mendelson heard which inspired him to hire Vince for the Charlie Brown Christmas gig. It immediately became a favorite of mine; something about it totally resonates with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. *singing while rocking* dododooooodoodooo

    ReplyDelete