Friday, November 18, 2011

I'm Just A Girl...

Thanksgiving No. ?: Chick-flicks

Last night I squealed when I found Hope Floats on Netflix - and I immediately put it in my Instant Queue. It's not like I haven't seen it a ga-zillion, fa-fillion times.  Not like I don't watch some portion of it every time it's on TV.  Y'all, I think I even have the VHS somewhere.  That scene when that no-good, testosterone-deficient, horrible excuse for a father drives off leaving his daughter sobbing in the street, screaming "DAADDDDYYYYYY!!!"....Oi vey, I'm about to tear up right now. 

For me, a good chick-flick must have humor, likable characters, and a memorable soundtrack. And No VAMPIRES.  That's right, I said it!  Keep yo' fangs & fur for the kiddos.  Ugh.  In that regard, I guess I'm a bit of a traditionalist. Give me Sleepless In Seattle, Runaway Bride, some old Cary Grant movie, maybe I Can Do Bad All By Myself, etc., etc. etc....

Another point about these type of movies....I also had to learn early on that guys usually aren't too keen on them.  Case and point - trying to force my then-guy to watch An Affair to Remember, 20 minutes later I hear this ceiling-rattling "skknnnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" in my right ear.  Yep, my man fell straight off to sleep.

No worries though - that punch in the gut woke him right up. 

But he only fell asleep again. 

So, most importantly, I gotta enjoy such cinema with my girls. I'm grateful for the girls that have had my back over the years; some I've known since the adolescent acne years, some I've just acquired.  But all of them are precious.

So I guess today is about being thankful for good chick-flicks, and good chicks.

*RROOOAAARR*














No comments:

Post a Comment