Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Oldie of the Day: Diamond in the Back

Amazing...it's the end of November! The Christmas season's hot breath is curling the fine hairs on the back of our necks.  Maybe we all should've done 30 days of thanks in December instead of November, to help keep us grounded.  This final day of November, one thing I am thankful for - I've already purchased presents for the fam, without going over budget, thanks to Cyber Monday.  And I'm thankful I didn't participate in the fooly-wank of Black Friday.

Here's a final song for November, "Diamond In the Back" by Curtis Mayfield.  This was written and recorded by William DeVaughn, under the title "Be Thankful For What You've Got".  I'm sure those of you that have listened to any rap in the past couple of decades will recognize the hook, "diamond in the back, sunroof top, diggin' the scene with a gangsta lean".  I never knew this had such positive lyrics: "But remember brothers and sisters, You can still stand tall, Just be thankful for what you got." 

I think that sums up November quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment