Monday, August 1, 2011

At Last!

Hello!  Finally, after Congress-like deliberation and delay, I’ve joined the blog-sphere!

Why Music Nerd Musings? Because I wanted a venue to express whatever music-related thought I have, post the song running obsessively thru my head, or just vent.  I also want to connect with other music lovers and musicians, and check out what they’re listening to, so please feel free to post your comments. Let’s just keep it respectful.

So here's my musing for today….

A few weeks ago I found out 2 fave groups of mine were putting out new albums – Burlap to Cashmere and Dawkins & Dawkins. EXCITED! And then I thought “oh! I need to check out Alfie Boe’s new one too!”  [Alfie Boe – great UK artist, currently tearing it up as the lead in Les Mis].  Then I thought, well that’s about as far about in the music spectrum as one can get.

Do I lean towards a particular genre? Sure. I grew up on black gospel and R&B.  But I also cut my teeth on pop and CCM.  As I got older, I ventured into the classical arena (especially because of the piano), jazz and rock.  And in the past few years, I’ve even acquired a bit of taste for *gasp* country. 

Good music is just that…good.  Good for the ears, and good for the heart. In my humble opinion, if you call yourself a musician or a music nerd, you may lean towards a particular music style, but you deliberately expose yourself to everything - to new experiences, new artists and new sounds. Whether you like that new sound or not, you still appreciate the gift, the value, and the hard work behind the music. And who knows? Whether it’s Fred Hammond or Linkin Park, Wynton Marsalis or Willie Nelson, Rogers & Hammerstein or Alison Krauss, in time you'll have something else to add to your music-nerd collection.  Sounds good to me.


Do you have any extremes in your music collection?
What is your definition of "music nerd"?

3 comments:

  1. While on vacation in Boise ID, we ran across an outdoor weekly music event. Anders Osborne (http://www.andersosborne.com/)was headlining. Swedish born, at sixteen he hitchhiked and played music throughout Europe, North Africa, the Middle East, Asia, and the U.S. He settled in New Orleans in 1985 and calls Louisiana his home. Haven't collected any of his offerings yet, but soon! Amazing songwriter/storyteller and guitarist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think a music nerd is simply, someone who is a student or open to all music. I wouldn't classify myself as a "music nerd" but I do have some extremes in my music collection. Let's see from The Fray, Lenny Kravitz, and AM 444 to Midnite, Vibes Kartel, The Roots, and Forever Jones. All over the place I know.....LOL. What can I say>>>>?

    ReplyDelete