Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Oldie of the Day - Reconsider Me

I happened across this singer while checking out some interviews on NPR’s website.  From what I remember, this was pretty neat interview idea they had...something about Valentine’s Day, and the love songs that other singers recommend.  This particular time, it was Tom Jones giving his list.  Side note: – how many of you are like me and cannot think of Tom Jones without doing the Carlton dance?

Any-so-ever….

Mr. Jones' first selection was from this artist, Johnny Adams, who was completely unknown to me.   The song is Reconsider Me. 


Listening to him, you can tell Tom Jones patterned his singing style A LOT after Mr. Adams.  I love the power in his voice, the richness and the ease with which he nails high notes.  When I heard this on NPR, I immediately hopped on youtube to find more recordings.  (Another good song is There Is Always One More Time.)

This sure does make me wanna pull out my record player and play a few vinyls.  It also reminds me of my blue Fisher Price record player as a kid. Yes, I said Fisher Price :)

I’m struggling to think of any men aged 40 or younger – especially in secular music – that can tear up a mic in similar effortless manner like that today. 
*Readers, any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment