Friday, August 12, 2011

Don't Be Skerred

Happy Friday!

For those going out dancing tonight – especially salsa dancing – here’s a couple selections from a guy I just happened onto this year, Alex Wilson– music educator, latin jazz musician and AMAZING pianist, etc., etc.  [not to be confused with the blues guitarist Alex Wilson]. 

I don’t even know how I found this clip the first time…I was probably caught up in some itunes-Rhapsody-youtube-google vortex.  I REALLY hope someday to see him live, and I want to get my hands on some of his music ed. materials.  From what I can gather, he seems to find the accessibility of music – in this case latin/jazz – extremely important.  I for one find salsa and jazz wonderful to listen to, but I can see how these genres can seem a bit intimidating.  I know I would find it intimidating to perform them. But I believe the key to discovering new music, or stretching your ear and your tastes, is to put yourself in those uncomfortable situations.  Find what’s out there, what’s the latest buzz or rumor.  Or get lost in the youtube vortex.  There are ALWAYS artists-educators, like Mr. Wilson, that are put here to excel at their craft AND serve as a gateway for listeners. 

Here's how I got hooked earlier this year – his cover of the Chaka classic, Ain't Nobody.



And here’s a slower pace selection, incorporating a little latin jazz – Rio De Janeiro Blue (FAVE part at 3:16).  
  

Y'all have a great weekend!

*Chime in your opinions on these songs - I'd love to hear them!
*Was (or Is) there a genre or artist you wanted to check out, but was a little scared at first?

No comments:

Post a Comment