Monday, August 15, 2011

Just Dropped In...

Hope everyone had a great weekend! 

I got to make a little music with friends this weekend, which is always fun.  Our impromptu session included writing a gospel cover to the Beatles' Yesterday.  Pretty danged good, if I do say so myself :) But we can't take total credit - stole the idea from a clip I saw of the Winans family on Oprah (many, many, MANY moons ago....as in big hair, close-cut fades and shoulder pads).  Y'all should youtube it...even if you're not a Beatles fan, or not a Winans fan, I think the music nerd in you will appreciate it.

So today's entry includes a cover....the song is Just Dropped In.  The actual original recording was done by Jerry Lee Lewis, but I've included the Kenny Rogers version since he was next in line and it was a hit for him.


The "cover" here is by Sharon Jones & the Dap Kings. Ok, another new artist to me - just caught them one night on Austin City Limits. And freakin' loved the show - Sharon Jones IS an entertainer.  Again, y'all should make sure to check her out.


All together now: "GRRROOOOVYYYY BABY!!"

*Side note - the joy of having music nerds as friends is when they send you music that you end up loving. Shout out to Alison, my fellow dungeon-mate!!

*PPS - Exactly how high do you have to be to write "tripped on a cloud, fell 8 miles high, tore my mind on a jagged sky"? Just askin'....

No comments:

Post a Comment