Monday, October 3, 2011

Daddy's Girl

Maybe it’s only in the South that a grown woman will (and is expected to) still refer to her father as Daddy, often with the same affection that she had for him as a child.  My dad’s birthday is coming up, and while I’m glad I got to see him and the rest of the family last month, I’m sad that I’m missing yet another birthday.  It’s hard to live away from family at these times. 

I am an unashamed Daddy’s girl…probably to the point of nauseating others at times.  That doesn’t mean we haven’t had our misunderstandings, arguments and times of separation. There were a number of years where things were really bumpy between us. But at the end of the day, I know that Daddy has always loved me and wanted the best for me and my sister.  I know he worked hard for his family.  I know he loved/loves being a teacher.  There came a time when – if I wanted to be mature, and be whole – I had to forgive people for real and perceived shortcomings, the offenses I suffered, and accept that person as he/she is.  This is just as true when dealing with family.  It's only then that I could work on building any kind of relationship in the present, as we are now as people.  

Both sides of my family love music and have very talented, creative people. But I think I got my music nerdiness from Daddy.  Even now, he’ll play a song and then have to share the story behind it. The general formula goes something like this: “See, this song came out in 19__.  Me, Brit (or another bff) and xxxx were [insert some action - walking, dancing, driving, whatever] and DJ xxx played this song".  Which is usually followed by some sort of little-known family, Virginia and/or Black History fact. :) And of course, there’s the occasional statement “Cheray, I need you to find this song….”  Hmmm, apparently this is what music nerdiness looks like 30 years from now - good to know. 

Anyways, even though I’ll have to read this to him long distance, or send him the link and ask Jesus to help me figure out how to help him pull it up on his computer (lol), I'm dedicating today's entry to him.  There are a few great father-child or father-daughter songs out there, I just chose 2. The other ones made me too weepy. There's one song in my arsenal that I hope to send him soon; if it goes well, maybe I'll post it here later.
 
*Is there a song that reminds you of a parent or loved one?


No comments:

Post a Comment